Saturday, December 20, 2008

The Hands of Women

After receiving an email entitled "Grandma's hands" I have had these thoughts go through my mind and feel the need to put them on paper.

I have looked at my hands many times in wonder of the miracle that hands are. I have used my hands in so many ways. From making mud pies as a little girl to making real pies as an adult. Holding children, wiping tears, trying to create art. Caring for laboring women as they bring their babies into the world. Caring for those who are on their journey of passing from this life. Loving my husband and children.

I watched my Mother's hands as she cared for me and others in our family and saw love there. I watched my Grandmothers hands as a young primary aged girl of 9- 12 ... Grandma Barker as she taught me how to knit and embroidery, Grandma Charlesworth as she taught me how to crochet. I watched all three of these beautiful women as they became more frail until they parted from this life. Oh, how I miss these wonderful ladies and all they did with their beautiful hands.

Recently I have watched my sisters and my hands begin to look the way I remember my mothers to look when she and her sisters were in their forties. I have been amazed at the work these wonderful sisters hands have done and do everyday.

I see how friends have served me and my family and many others with their hands.

I look at my beautiful little girl Ashlyn's hands as she holds them up to mine to see how close in size they are and I remember doing that with my own Mother's hands. I see her busy little hands and hope that I will be able to teach her all she needs to know for her to be pleased with the work of her hands.

In a new way I look forward to what my hands will do as a grandmother myself.
When I have become frail, will I be proud of all I have done with my hands?

I can truly say that I will raise my hands in joy when I get to see my Mother and wrap my arms around her again. I will no doubt be overjoyed at hugging all the generations of women that have passed on before me. One thing that I know is that the Savior has made all these wonderful reunions possible for each and everyone of us.

The work of a woman and her hands is a wonder to behold from the day they are born until they pass from this life to the next.

I am grateful for the hands and souls of all those who have touched my life, both female and male. But this is a short tribute to the hands of the women in my life.

Be well and be happy!!!!

1 comment:

Meredith Haag said...

That was amazing! You really have done a TON with your hands! Just for me I can think of lots of things that you've made for me! And things that you taught me to make too! You're an amazing woman and sometimes I wonder if there is anything you can't do or that you don't know!!! I just told my friend the other day.... she had a question about an ingredient that she needed and that she hadn't heard of before and I said... if ever I don't know what something is... all I have to do is call my sister Jan, she knows it all! My friend was like- "That's so awesome! I wish I had a Jan!"